My last attempt at updating our renovation was dated Week #6; I note I had headed it “At last some above ground action”.
In the intervening weeks, since Week 3-6, most of the work was below ground.
There has been activity on-site weekly; finding time to diarise what’s been going on has been difficult – I’ve been flat out working and organising a Women in Media SA event in the little spare time available.
Four weeks ago, my sister Christine Rady was over from Sydney; we had a great site meeting with our joinery contractors, Gawler Custom Specialist Joinery.
So much was achieved during her visit – including completely changing the colour of the ensuite joinery, after putting the paint samples up against the tiles at International Ceramics.
While I still haven’t chosen much in the way of furniture (more on that later) a great hour at Mokum, at Norwood, certainly helped in setting a fabric direction.
Here are some highlights from recent weeks, in no particular order:
· Found our chosen pendant light for the main bathroom on sale at Décor Lighting, Norwood;
· Chosen Dulux “Love Note” as the main white colour for the whole house, with Vivid White as the ceiling colour
· Chose white subways for kitchen
· Approved joiner’s American Oak veneer for the dining/lounge room joinery
· Approved the joiner’s deep gloss black for the main bathroom vanity
· Christine found gorgeous double light to go in mirror in ensuite
· Chose Miele induction cooktop for kitchen
· Decided on an integrated Miele dishwasher for the kitchen
· Redesigned the kitchen to make our existing Neff oven (only bought a year before we started this process) a wall-oven, with a Westinghouse convection microwave built in above it.
· Agreed a bulk head should be installed over the hallway to disguise a bow in cornice (the old archway did the same the trick)
· Upscaled the kitchen sink tapware after seeing a hose-spout at Routleys.
· Opted against an invertor for the tapware in the showers – going for separate taps for the large shower rose and hand-held sprays.
· Realised we haven’t made any provision for speakers for music/TV both inside and out; engaged with entertainment/sound contractor to source speakers, amplifier, woofer etc and an electronic arm to move the TV.
· Double cabling throughout the house – in preparation for NBN next year, after advice from my IT consultant.
· Ordered new draw handles for main bathroom vanity after deciding my first pick were too small
· Took new handles and previously purchased antique brass Chinese door handles to be matched at Delway, Edwardstown, where they chrome goods
The most exciting additions since Christine's trip has been the installation of the window frames (see pic below). Loving the black industrial window door frames - looking forward to seeing the glass and cross beams going in next.
Meanwhile, Christine and I are going to Melbourne in late-May for two days of intensive interior design shopping. Hopefully we can make all of our outstanding choices:
· Dining table
· Modular sofa
· Kitchen stools
· Kitchen pendant lights
· Main bathroom mirror light